It’s definitely true that workdays are more productive when you hit the ground running.
On some days, I feel like getting up and reaching for the stars. I slip on something I feel confident in, grab my favourite over-priced coffee from the cafe near work, and walk my way to the office with all the swagger I can muster.
On other days, it feels like a Herculean task to just get my weary body off the bed. What to wear? That’s a question that sends me into an infinite loop. Breakfast? Yea, I’ll just have lunch straight. Walking into the office reminds me of being herded into the classroom back in in primary school.
Here’s an article that I chanced upon, that summarises a few things you could do to make your mornings more like the former scenario than the latter.
- Inspire your body – Stretch your body and take a few deep breaths right after you wake up.
- Inspire your mind – Wake up and have a set of goals ready for the day. Read them out loud. Really believe in them.
- Ignore emails and messages – DON’T reach for the phone first thing after your eyes open. (I plead guilty!) The emails and messages can wait until you’re getting some breakfast.
- Fuel your body – With GOOD breakfast, and this includes the coffee!
- Fuel your mind – Listen to some uplifting and motivational music on the way to work.
- Be upbeat, not annoying – It’s your responsibility to be enthused in the morning. It’s not your responsibility to go about smearing enthusiasm in everybody else’s faces.
- Do something important first – Instead of diving into the nitty-gritty first, get the ball rolling with a big-ticket item in your goals list first. Refer to #2 above.
With the help of these cues, your Mondays (and other days too) should hopefully go from http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7121/7599261196_7483a22bee.jpg